REFLECTOR: Insurance Issue

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Sun Nov 8 11:26:33 CST 2009

AUA has been OK, using AIG as the underwriter for the last 5 years.

Though my last renewal has been plagued with problems.   First the price
on hull went up about 50%.   I'm in the process of dropping all "in
movement" hull and just getting non-movement.  I have never had
"in-flight" because it had exceeded 3% of the value. Non-movement would
cover theft, the hanger falling down or burning up, or somebody running
into it while it is parked.   I noticed at the last moment before
sending a check that they had snuck in a new amendment requiring 2 hours
of dual a year!  After I already have 500 hours in this Velocity and a
total of 3000+ hours in HP complex airplanes. I told Pam S. that was not
acceptable and to have the amendment removed and drop hull "in movement"
coverage.  Still waiting to hear back. She was surprised at  the 2 hour
dual and said she had never seen that before.

AUA did allow the factory training in lieu of 10 hours of dual, but that
was 6 years ago.  20 hours of dual is ridiculous if  this guy really has
the experience he says he has.  When I bought a Bonanza years ago, I was
a low time pilot with some(20 hours) HP complex time, Avemco required 10
hours of dual and then 10 hours of single pilot  time before carrying
passengers.  Maybe thats what the 20 hours was?

Insurance is going to kill GA as we know it, if something doesn't change.

I can't afford to fully insure my airplane. I have to self insure some
of it.

Scott