REFLECTOR: Insurance Issue

Tom tomcat05 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 8 10:58:37 CST 2009

Just had a deal fall through for purchase of my plane due to an
insurance problem. The purchaser tried to bind coverage and the
underwriter (Aerospace ins mgrs) insisted on 20 hrs of dual instruction.
The quote was not great either at $2560 for liability and 70K hull. He
tried going through another broker (Falcon) and got a similar story on
dual needed which was his biggest problem. I had always thought that
underwriters would accept factory training in lieu of ridiculous dual.
By the way, this pilot was a high time aerobatic pilot with mucho time
in numerous squirrelly birds. A fixed gear, fixed pitch Velocity is not
exactly a tough plane to fly. Does anyone know of any underwriters that
are more reasonable with in type requirement??thx Tom