REFLECTOR: Takeoff roll - fuel burn

KMis178813 at aol.com KMis178813 at aol.com
Sat May 23 21:14:39 CDT 2009

Throw in another variable TIRE PRESSURE!   At gross on a hot  day (100 F)
at sea level with low tire pressure. Used 4800 ft. of 5007 for Take  Off.
Hopping the plane into the air to loose rolling resistance from the tires.  Hop
and hope!!       Note to self:  Don't  do that again!!
    Ken

In a message dated 5/23/2009 5:54:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
scott at tnstaafl.net writes:

Al  Gietzen wrote:
> I got my wakeup call last summer at Longmont, CO; elev  5100' - runway
length
> <snip>
> I realized later my  error.  The Koch chart is 'add to normal takeoff'.  I
> should  have been thinking 3 times the sea level requirement.  I've been
on
> the overly conservative side ever since.

I  too have dragged my mains through the runway end lights a couple times
on  take off.  Both times I can credit to underestimating the effect  of
density altitude.

Wise call to be overly conservative  Al.  You and your plane will live
long and  prosper!

Scott

Visit the gallery!   www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose