REFLECTOR: speed brake

Lou Stedman stedmanlou at roadrunner.com
Sun May 17 17:57:57 CDT 2009

When I was doing some touch and goes yesterday, my speed brake quit in the up position. I pulled it out to check it today and it worked for one cycle, then quit for good. I can't get it to move in any direction. It is now in the closed position.I need some advice on my speed brake actuator. I believe it has died and needs replacing. If I am reading the wiring correct, when my actuator switch is in the up position, power goes to one of the two leads going into the actuator motor. When I reverse my double pole, double throw, switch into the down position the power now goes into the wire which was ground and ground goes into the wire which was hot. Is that correct? Before I order a new one, is there a way to bench check my old one? I tried using a 12 volt battery charger and reversing the hot and ground onto the leads coming from the motor but nothing happens.

Lou Stedman
Velocity N7044Q
Olean, NY