REFLECTOR: 12 Volt .vs. 24 Volt

Brooke Wolf bwolf1 at tds.net
Sun May 17 14:31:41 CDT 2009

All

Almost every time I start a new phase in the building process of my
XLRG-5, I am a bit slowed because I have not decided on an electrical
system. I would be interested in hearing the opinions of the
collective as to any advantage of a 24 volt system.  It would save
some weight with smaller gauge wire, but I think the weight savings in
negligible.  Other than that, I can't think of an advantage.  One
major sticking point in the decision making process is Cessna, Cirrus,
and others.  Are they putting 28 volt systems in their new airplanes?
If so, one would assume there are good reasons for doing so.  Does any
one know what those good reasons might be?  I've got to get off this
fence and get on with my project!!

BTW I plan on a robust electrical system (probably 2 alternators, 1
battery) to support a fairly sophisticated IFR panel with sufficient
redundancy for serious weather flying.

Thanks.....Brooke