REFLECTOR: Anybody know who's TSIO550 this is?

Bob Jackson bobj at computer.org
Wed May 6 11:11:52 CDT 2009

Jon,

My airplane partner made the landing lights from regular 24 v. track lights
mounted inside hogged out and shortened MagLight flashlight bodies.  He also
made the mounts from sheet aluminum.  They're not LEDs, just standard
incadescents.  We still don't have them aimed right since we haven't flown
very much yet at night.  Hopefully, they will put out enough light.  This is
the only shot I could find of the lights - the ones on the nosewheel are the
taxi lights, and the landing lights are on the mains.

Does anyone know the proper angle below the longitudinal axis for landing
lights?  The EFIS's show about 10 degrees pitch up for the landing attitude
I think I saw, but then you have to account for the height above touchdown
and range where you want to be able to see the runway.  Probably all the
data is there for a standard 3 degree glideslope, but we haven't got them
aimed right yet after the first try.  It requires a lot more angle down of
the lights than you would initially think apparently.

Bob Jackson

  _____