REFLECTOR: speed

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Sat May 2 09:56:59 CDT 2009

Lou;

I’d expect it is a combination of factors.  Given your takeoff roll vs WOT
speed it does sound like a drag issue; but also seems like a power issue.
But 180 hp on a fixed gear Velocity is somewhat under powered.  Good wheel
pants could certainly help. Higher engine rpm equals more power; so a
reduction in pitch is in order.  A Catto prop is good to 3000 rpm, and that
would be a significant power increase over 2550.  Direct drive aircraft
engines are operating significantly below peak power rpm. Reduced drag and
increased power is a place to start.

I think the incidence of the canard is also a factor. Having the elevator
trailing edge down is like flying with flaps extended.  I’m quite convinced
that on the canard airfoil, the drag is lower with the trailing edge up at
least ½”.  Yes, if you could generate more speed with different power/prop
combination, your trailing edge would come up a bit, but I’d guess not
enough.  I don’t find much difference in trim between 140 and 160 knots.  I
also find little difference in elevator position at cruise with CG near aft
limit, and CG near the middle of the box.  At 160 Kt cruise, my elevator is
trailing edge about 5/8” up.  It could be that my experience or others with
Wingco canards, is a bit different since we have a bit more camber on the
canard and 8” wider span.

Good luck,

Al