REFLECTOR: Update on my Subaru installation

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Sun Mar 29 18:23:03 CDT 2009

Alex,

I have seen the final form of Dave's beast. Unless something was different, I'm not surprised there wasn't enough pressure to turn the air thru the radiator to get effective cooling. There might not be enough for mine either, but the NACA's feed straight into the cooling fins. There is an expansion area, but no turns to go thru the fins.

I have a backup plan to add a touch of a scoop onto the NACA's if I need it, but I want to try it without first.

I am using a solid state motor controller on the blower so that I have infinate motor speed without the need for a wasteful balast resistor. Since everything is electric, I needed to save power wherever I could.  My blower pulls from inside, just like your system. I have 6 air vents for the cabin, so when it is hot you can pull in fresh air, run it through the core, exit outside right in front of the nose strut.

When heat is needed in the cabin, mine is like yours with outlets at the feet, but I have a smaller tube running up to a defroster on the windshield too.

I have a picture of the radiator setup (without the engine in the way) at home. I'll dig it up and send it to you.

Wish I was home in the hangar working on the V, but I had to come to work to pay for the next step... paint & interior.

Kurt