REFLECTOR: Vortex generators

Tom tomcat05 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 29 17:13:48 CDT 2009

Steve--could you try posting that photo again. I'm just curious how
you've got them placed with only 9 VGs.
Also, does anyone know if the factory VGs come in clear or only in
white?? thx Tom

My V was very hairy on short final, almost no response from the ailerons.
I covered one wing with wool 'tufts' and went flying with a video camera
in the chase a/c.
They say every picture tells a story - at low (approach) speed, the
tufts forward of the aileron (upper wing surface) stood up on end,
perperdicular to the airflow - the ailerons were flopping around in a
vacuum.

I made my own VGs from some white, angle plastic from the local hardware
store and put about 9 VGs on each wing (see attached photo) and the
respose on short final is firm and responsive.

I would not consider taking them off.

fwiw

Steve