REFLECTOR: Cowl Vortex generators

Rene Dugas dugasd at bellsouth.net
Sun Mar 29 13:21:24 CDT 2009

Vortex generation got me to thinking about keeping air flow attached
for a longer arc near the prop between the exit holes in the cowl and
the prop. If the airflow stayed attached longer it might supply less
disrupted air to the prop. This may be too close to the prop root to
make difference. It might increase the drag by forming more vacuum but
that might improve cowl evacuation.  VG's leading the NACAs helps. Two
pairs on each top and two on the lower cowl 6 or 8 inches forward of
the groove-might have a benefit. I've thought whether our exits should
be rectangular to decrease air flow disruption.  Food for rumination.
Also would VG's 6" forward of the ailerons make them more effective at
slow speeds similar but for different reasons to fences.

Rene' Dugas
Sent from my iPhone 3G