REFLECTOR: Vortex generators

Yahoo steve_beilby at yahoo.com.au
Sat Mar 28 19:30:59 CDT 2009

I put my own VG's on the main wing only, so I can't give any advice on
canard VGs.

On the main wing, with no real aileron authority at low speed, tuft
testing also revealed some spanwise flow.
Therefore I oriented my VGs as accurately as I could, parallel to the
aircraft centerline.
At cruise speed, they would have little or no vortex generating effect.
But at low speed, when the airlow follows a path more toward the wing
tips, the VGs 'trip' the airflow causing vortecies.

Well, thats my theory at least, and so far it has been my experience
that this approach works.

As for the VGs themselves, I purchased a length of plastic 1"x1" 'L'
angle about 8 foot long. I cut short lengths about 1  1/4" with snips,
trimmed to shape and cleaned up with a sanding board and attached to the
wing with silicone.

Not rocket science but it works for me - Steve