REFLECTOR: Update on my Subaru installation

Alex Balic velocity_pilot at verizon.net
Sat Mar 28 08:34:59 CDT 2009

Hi Chuck-

Thanks fro the good advice- I have added a wetting agent to the coolant, so
that should (might) improve cooling efficiency- also- I am not using the
NACA scoops for engine cooling- I am using one of them to bring in air for
the turbo intercooler- the other one is to bring in air for the engine oil
cooler/ PSRU oil cooler stack and a little bit for the 95 amp alternator,
and to dump down on the firewall / turbocharger area. The turbocharger and
exhaust are wrapped to reduce radiant heat load inside the engine
compartment. I have a belly mounted ram air scoop- see early construction
picture (hopefully) it is very similar to Dave Bertram's scoop that he is
using on his V8 powered Velocity- and he has reported no cooling problems
and is making about 100 more HP than I am, so I am confident that it will
cool for me- I have an electric fan on the radiator to assist in ground
operations- only testing in the fine Texas heat will tell if it is all
sufficient, but I intend to do just that this summer!

Alex

  _____