REFLECTOR: Vortex generators

Yahoo steve_beilby at yahoo.com.au
Fri Mar 27 23:09:19 CDT 2009

My V was very hairy on short final, almost no response from the ailerons.
I covered one wing with wool 'tufts' and went flying with a video camera
in the chase a/c.
They say every picture tells a story - at low (approach) speed, the
tufts forward of the aileron (upper wing surface) stood up on end,
perperdicular to the airflow - the ailerons were flopping around in a
vacuum.

I made my own VGs from some white, angle plastic from the local hardware
store and put about 9 VGs on each wing (see attached photo) and the
respose on short final is firm and responsive.

I would not consider taking them off.

fwiw

Steve