REFLECTOR: Help with poor running Franklin

Chuck c.harbert1 at verizon.net
Fri Mar 27 14:57:07 CDT 2009

Jerry, assuming that you have good mags, proper timing, the correct carb,
etc., it sounds like you might be getting poor ring seating probably due to
altitude. At 8,500 ft, the density altitude will reduce the horsepower by
about 40% which reduces cylinder pressure thus not allowing the rings to
seat, especially if you're running the engine rich (gas acts as a lubricant)
which is very common. The excess oil and gas will quickly foul the plugs,
and you'll get missing, and thus the engine won't rev up. The first place to
check is the plugs to see which cylinders are darkest. I suspect you'll find
a couple which are very dark around the electrode, maybe even wet. The bad
cylinder(s) will be very cool compared to a firing cylinder. Carbureted
engines are notorious for uneven mixture distribution, particularly at idle.
If you have the wrong (too rich) carb, you'll notice that when you lean it,
it takes a lot of movement to get it to lean and with just a little more
leaning it will quit. The oil will turn back quickly as well.

If this turns out to be the problem, I'd suggest the following:

1. Invest in an individual EGT sensor measuring system, if you haven't got
one which will immediately tell you which cylinder is not firing.

2. This may sound extreme, but I'd take the engine off the plane and send it
to a (preferably, low altitude) A/C engine rebuilder to see if they can run
it until the rings are seated (break it in). I did this with my engine
(IO-360) and they found a few things that were wrong (timing, etc) which
they easily fixed. They ran it and gave me a spread sheet of all the
parameters (hp, oil pres, EGT/CHT, etc), and the cost was under $1,000.

I used Bart at Aerosport (205-376-2955) in Kelowna BC who is a great guy and
really knows this stuff, including having a good engine test facility. Worst
case, you might have to rehone the cylinders which he could do (if he'll
work on a Franklin). I drove up from Seattle to pick up the engine at his
shop and watched them do the testing. I really learned a lot from this.
You're a lot farther away, so maybe there's somebody closer (at lower
altitude) that you can use. I originally shipped the engine to him which was
easy. I'd give him a call to see what he'd suggest.

3. If you still want to fix it yourself, you could try the following:

a. if the plugs are fouled, run a hotter range plug for break in. You'll
need to tie down the plane so you can run the engine up to 2,000+ rpm to get
enough cylinder pressure to seat the rings

b. change the (using mineral oil?) oil if it's black, and refill with a few
quarts less, so there's less oil to blow by the rings.

c. aggressively lean the engine to get the heat into the cylinders, but
don't exceed max mfr recommended temps. You'll need to shut it down and let
it cool between runs. An engine test stand has a prop blowing air over the
cylinders so that they stay within range.

Basically, you're just trying to seat the rings which is critical for long
engine life, and that takes cylinder pressure and temp to accomplish this.
It's really important to have a good, reliable engine if your flying around
mountains. Good luck.

Chuck H