REFLECTOR: compass rose

Alex Balic velocity_pilot at verizon.net
Mon Mar 23 18:35:56 CDT 2009

"I am amazed by how you can take something so simple and turn it into a
government project."
Exactly right Larry- could not have said it better myself!!- if you left it
up to the feds, they would have a team of hundreds out there with surveying
equipment- what sort of accuracy do you want on the thing anyway that you
could not get with a magnetic compass? The pole moves about 25 miles/year -
so if you are looking for +/- 1 degree you are wasting time painting the
direction on the ground- just get it lined up with a good quality compass
(although a magnetized needle floating on a cork will point in the exact
same direction)