REFLECTOR: Turn Coordinator

David Scharfenberg dave at winco.net
Fri Mar 13 22:15:14 CDT 2009

I'm not sure a turn indicator is required for instrument flight.  We
don't have one in the Lear 35A.

Dave Scharfenberg

On Mar 12, 2009, at 5:01 PM, Scott Baker wrote:

During instrument flight, the norm is to perform all turns using a
'standard' rate of 3-degrees of turn per second, i.e. executing a 30-
degree turn takes 10-seconds.  This is according to the PTS.  Turns on
final approach are made at 1/2 standard rate.  A Turn Coordinator or a
Turn and Slip Indicator is a required instrument for instrument flight.
I think your note more accurately makes reference to the "ball" slip-
skid quality of turn indicator that appears in most Turn Coordinators
and Turn and Slip/Skid Indicators.  You are correct that the Velocity
needs very little rudder correction and that the ball does not seem to
move much during turns, climbs, and descents.
Scott B.