REFLECTOR: wing frosting

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Fri Mar 13 11:59:08 CDT 2009

Matt,

I did my own wings. I ended up using "SuperFill" to cut down on weight.. and it seems like that was an expensive but very good idea. I have the 173 wings. A 3 Gallon kit of Superfill ended up filling all of the weave in the fabric of the wings, winglets, canard and elevators. I used a wide taping knife on the wings and basically just filled the weave and any low spots first. Once all of that was done, I just knocked off the high frosting bumps with a long sanding board.

I ended up with less than a dixie cup of material left over after this!? So the weight savings is pretty significant, specially at the back of the ailerons and the rudders. It also sands easier than Micro does. Micro will sand different each batch you make... even if only by a little bit. The superfill seems more uniform and cuts down on future feathering.

To answer your question, I did all the fill first. I think it is easier for a couple reasons:? It sure is easier to draw a nice fine straight line on a smooth filledsurface !? You don't have to figure out how to fill the rudder & aft part of the winglet, without gluing them back together. If you use a nice fine blade, you can cut the rudder with almost no chipping to the edges of the cut lines where the fill is.

I slid a small piece of sandpaper between the rudder/wing line and sanded it slightly. Then I slid a piece of? tape into the slot and filled right over it. Once it was time to remove the rudder, I cut that area with a razor knife then cut out the rudder. Then you can just touch up the area that was against the wing.

Kurt