REFLECTOR: Turn Coordinator

Carl Hoffman hoffman3 at erols.com
Thu Mar 12 15:22:44 CDT 2009

---- Original message ----
>Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:50:25 -0400
>From: "John Abraham" <john at velocityaircraft.com>
>Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Turn Coordinator
>To: "'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'" <reflector at tvbf.org>
>
>   Remember that if you plan on flying your aircraft IFR at all you must meet the
>   requirements of 91.205; experimental or not.  Even though you can compute a
>   standard rate turn with your:   (airspeed / 10) + 5 for your attitude indicator.
>

>   For normal VFR you will not usually refer to your turn and slip indicator since in
>   the Velocity you don't have to worry about cross control stalls.  However when you
>   begin test flying your aircraft it is a useful instrument to help rig your rudders
>   so you aren't flying sideways which may cause uneven fuel feed.

Occasionally, I will lose fuel from the left fuel tank if the fuel cap is not sealed well enough with petroleum jelly. Is this related to uneven fuel flow?

I fly with a Navaid autopilot that's coupled to Garmin 296 GPS. It has an electric gyro with CDI and slip indicator.  It flies straight and level, but the right rudder moves 1/4" outboard against the rudder spring during flight. Are the rudders rigged properly?

Carl Hoffman