REFLECTOR: Turn Coordinator

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 12 12:21:34 CDT 2009

Ron,

You don't need an AI or a DG in a VFR aircraft but I bet that's in the plan.  When I was learning to fly the planes had turn and bank indicators and no other gyros.  The later turn coordinators were developed because that's what you need to drive an autopilot.  The turn indicator only shows rate of turn while the turn coordinator shows both roll rate and turn rate.  I prefer the turn and bank because it's not so goosey in turbulence.  A requirement for a pilot license is making a 180 deg. timed turn under the hood.  A turn gyro makes it a no brainer.  A turn coordinator is called that because that's what it's for.  All turns should be coordinated and most should be standard rate.  Using standard rate turns in the traffic pattern  is a big help in nailing the runway centerline consistently. That turn gyro is very helpful on hazy days when you having trouble picking out ground features to aim at.  Trying to use the AI DG instruments to keep on course will have you "S" turning all the way home.  Even an IFR pilot is supposed to be able to fly in the clag with the AI and DG failed using the turn coordinator and his primary instruments.  If you ever want to sell this plane I think a lack of a turn coordinator will come back to bite you.

Larry Coen
N136LC