REFLECTOR: Turn Coordinator

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Thu Mar 12 08:08:50 CDT 2009

You need a backup gyro for IFR. You need a Yaw(slip/skid)
indicator(ball) for VFR basic instrument package.
You can use a 2nd AI for the backup gyro, I use a Dynon D10-A for both
backup and Yaw.

And you do use the rudders, in the pattern and for quick turns.  She's
pretty ungainly at 100 knots making a turn to base or final with the use
of rudders.

Slipping on descent or final to increase your descent definitely
requires the rudders.

Also in turbulence at cruise speeds you can smooth things out a bit with
judicial use of the rudders.

Scott