REFLECTOR: 6 lead cable

davedent at comcast.net davedent at comcast.net
Wed Mar 11 12:46:13 CDT 2009

I don't know how long  you guys have been working over this gray code wire issue but you should be putting it to rest.  If you have a 430,530 or even a GNC 300 tide into a 300 series transponder you don't need the ten wire code wire. Providing you have a AHRS installed. These units all have ARINC 429 in and out.  That's two wires you hook up to each unit. In most cases only one.  They drive autopilots,radios,instruments and a lot more and allow the traffic to be shown on your EFIS if you have a GTX 330.  The idea is to get less wires, not keep the same old bundles of wires that clutter and weigh down our planes. I took my transponder encoders out four years ago along with all the wires associated with it and replaced them with one wire between my GTX 330 and my EFIS that has its own encoder through the AHRS.

Why do we still try and keep the old steam gauge technology in a modern aircraft.  I have three steam flight gauges in my plane and two of them have failed since I installed my EFIS and it has never let me down.  My $15k altimeter has stuck many times and the encoder out of it was unreliable.  My GRT unit has never missed a beat.  The number of wires I have to the EFIS is less in diameter then the hose going to my altimeter let alone to the horizon indicator and less weight.  Does that tell you something.  I have a small stand-by battery that is good for two hours to run the EFIS and EIS if I loose bus power. I've never needed it.

I have been working with a fellow to develop a blue tooth engine monitor to eliminate the wires from the engine compartment as well.  We have flown it and it works fine.  Trying to lower the parts count and make it even smaller.  We may just go with the ARINC 429.  One wire from the engine compartment, 20 gauge.  The first time we flew it, we used a cell phone to read the engine information, it worked great even while transmitting at different radio sweeps. Also developing a touch screen EFIS with intergraded GPS.  Also considering one wire magnetometers.  Six wires are a drag.  I know, I just got through yesterday, pulling those six wires, what a drag, and time consuming.

If looking for ten-twelve wire bundle cables to run from the engine compartment, you can find most of this through the home entertainment wire systems. Some are very high quality as well. 20/22/24 gauge.  Look in that industry for wire as well.  Most of it must meets fire codes and most of it is shielded.  Most have cool type connectors along with them.
These are the types of things coming down the flight line, but that is who were are.  If it weren't for these experimental guys we would still be in the stone age of aviation. Keep seeking and pushing the design envelope.

OK, I'll get off my soap box.
Dave