REFLECTOR: Builders risk policy

Douglas Holub douglas.holub at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 14:59:05 CDT 2009

I called Falcon for liability insurance before my first flight. After about
a week the agent called me and said that no one would insure me because I
didn't have enough total hours. Some required 250 and some required 500 (I
only have 135.)  My airplane is fixed gear, 2-blade fixed pitch propeller,
with a sub-200 hp engine, and I had 5 hours in type during factory
transition training.

So I carefully planned how to avoid landing on any houses should anything go
wrong, and flew the airplane for the first time without liability insurance.

A couple of days later Jim Stewart at Falcon called me to say that one of
his companies would insure me, but not for first flight. So now I've got
$500,000 of liability insurance for $683/year.

Doug Holub
N2980W, Standard FG
working on cooling the engine