REFLECTOR: Splitting Flying Costs

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Tue Jun 30 18:13:13 CDT 2009

Following is the response I got from the EAA.

John

Hello John,

The FAA guy is actually correct regarding "sharing of expenses" or
"compensation" in an experimental aircraft.  The operating limitations
of the aircraft are the governing document in this case, and they
contain the following limitation:

"No person may operate this aircraft for carrying persons or property
for compensation or hire."

This limitation is actually taken directly from the regulations as found
in 14 CFR 91.319(a)(2).  This is also supported by 14 CFR 91.146, which
governs rides given in support of a charitable organization.  This
regulation prohibits charitable rides to be given in other than a
standard category aircraft.

The bottom line is, when carrying persons in an experimental aircraft
the operator is not allowed to receive any compensation (even partial,
or a donation to a charity).

Hope this helps.  Let me know if you have further questions.