REFLECTOR: Cylinder repair followup

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Tue Jun 30 10:20:06 CDT 2009

John;

For the same 'average' temperature of the oil cooler; the lower temperature
drop across the cooler is increasing the outlet temp; but reducing the inlet
temp. Of course to really know what's going on we need more data than just
one temperature.

Perhaps a key point based on what we think we know, is that the 'average'
oil temp seen by the engine is lower - maybe very little, but lower.  That;
combined with higher flow, I would surmise, could only be a good thing for
the engine.  Higher flow will reduce the average bearing surface temp by
moving more oil through, which is a key factor.

Don't get too focused on the temp that you are measuring at one particular
point in the system. In the extreme you could reduce the flow until the
engine was being damaged, and your measured cooler outlet temp could be
comfortably away from the red-line temperature.  One view of what you are
seeing is that it suggests looking at ways to increase air flow to the
cooler, or consider a larger cooler.

I don't know what the criteria or margins are built into the 'red-line'
temperature.  It's a function of the oil you are using.  If it is a good
synthetic, you could bump the limit up a few degrees if it makes you more
comfortable (but I would never actually suggest you do that).

Al