REFLECTOR: Cylinder repair followup

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Mon Jun 29 10:35:30 CDT 2009

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding your logic about higher oil
pressure causing a decrease in oil cooling?  Yes, you "might" be pumping
more oil through the cooler, so the same volume of oil might not
exchange as much heat out through the cooler because of the faster
transit time, but your pumping more volume through the cooler, providing
more oil to be cooled in the same amount of time.  I would think these
two factors would  pretty much even things out, as far as the total
amount of  heat exchanged over time.  Maybe a little less, maybe a
little more, but probably not enough to significantly change your oil temp.

As far as the cylinder liners are concerned, there is a minimum amount
of ring gap allowed when overhauling cylinders. If the new liners don't
meet that, the liners should be machined to meet that tolerance.

Its possible there are alternate rings that would meet that tolerance.
I've also filed the ends of rings to fit tight sleeves in automotive
applications but you have to be very very careful doing that.  If the
rings don't fit thats telling you you have less clearance between the
cylinder and the piston which can result in scuffing and scraping the
cylinder walls. I don't think I would use alternate rings or file the
rings in an aircooled engine because of the greater expansion ratios
between the pistons and the cylinder walls.

Machining the liners to proper tolerance as measured by ring gap sounds
like the right thing to do.

Scott