REFLECTOR: Dear Unbelievable-Fire Extinguisher (John Dibble)

HYTEC45 at aol.com HYTEC45 at aol.com
Mon Jun 29 09:20:02 CDT 2009

In a message dated 6/27/2009 10:26:48 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
dugasd at bellsouth.net writes:

A small  halon will fit under the left side of the pilot seat

Halon is good for inside, but don't forget the obvious.

I was taxiing out on an out of town trip and noticed a AerComp10 turboprop
homebuilt doing high speed taxi testing.  When it was on the opposite side
of the field, I noticed a flame coming from the right wheel.  I called  and
said that they had a fire and sure enough, the right brake had caught the
gear leg/tire on fire.  The right front got out with an extinguisher and
shot it with no avail.  I hauled ass to them and bailed out with my  Halon.
The guy met me, grabbed it and proceeded to piss that away  also.  The
grounds were crushed lava and no real dirt to use.  By this  time the tire was the
issue with flames licking up the gear leg.  The  "Lady" owner had gotten
out and proceed to tell us to "get away, I think it's a  loss."  Just then, my
sweetie had gotten out of the Velocity (top loader)  and proceed to sprint
over with the two gallons of water  I was caring (desert XC). Daaaaug!!  I
grabbed one of the gallons and pored  it down the gear leg to the tire and
snuffed the thing right out.  Took the  whole gallon to cool down the
tire/wheel as it was trying to flair back  up.  I would have forgot the obvious if
it wasn't for my Lady.  No  good deed goes unpunished as I just asked the
owner to replace my "nice chrome"  halon extinguisher that AS sells, and gave
her my card.  About 2  months later, I got the cheapest extinguisher money
can buy (plastic) from Home  Depo.  On a humorous note, my Lady (RIP) laughed
her but off when it  came and wanted to cover it in Vaseline, wrap it in
saran wrap and send it  back.
TEC