REFLECTOR: Fire Extinguisher

Dave david.staten at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 13:21:40 CDT 2009

Ok.. some things to keep in mind.. this is a marketing video promoting
the product.

First off.. how common are upholstery fires in aircraft? Yea.. they aren't.
Class A - Textile and wood - are very rare in our setting.
Class B Flammable liquids and Class C electrical are much more common.

The dry chem extinguisher works on all 3 major types (and there are dry
chem extinguishers avail for Class D - burning metals such as
sodium/magnesium/phosphorus). and you also noticed the standoff distance
that the dry chem extinguisher gives you - up to 10 feet.. The fireade
foam canister requires you getting up close. For anything larger than a
trashcan you are likely going to feel the heat and get superficial
burns. Same thing with liquid fires.. Especially with Jet A or diesel..
they burn hot.. very hot.. and if you aren't wearing protective gear you
are going to be hard pressed to get in close enough and STAY in close
enough to put this foam on a burning liquid in an adequate manner.

Applying a liquid foam to energized electrical fires is likely not a
very smart move.

Had this foam device had greater standoff and better blanketing (spray
rather than stream) it might get a BIT better in my eyes, but I've used
Dry Chem many times in my life - as a firefighter and civilian, and put
out fully involved engine compartment fires (cars) with a single
extinguisher and good technique.

My advice to you guys is to contact your local fire dept and ask if they
have any sort of fire extinguisher demo program that they can conduct
that you can attend. It will improve your confidence in managing fires
and see what you really need as well as what you really can handle. The
average Kiddie 1 quart you can buy at Home Depot can put out 10 square
feet of burning liquid if used right.

Dave