REFLECTOR: Fire Extinguisher

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Fri Jun 26 14:00:14 CDT 2009

I think that it is certainly a good idea to have a fire extinguisher on
board.  That being said - please consider:
* Most of the fire extinguishers carried on board small GA aircraft have a
limited capacity and (with respect to some of the recent discussions on this
subject) I seriously doubt that these small extinguishers are capable of
extinguishing a fully engulfed brake fire; engine fire; or small grass fire.
* As to a recommended mounting location, I would find a location inside the
cabin where the PIC can access the extinguisher with one hand.  The strake
cubby hole is inaccessable during flight and in my opinion would not make a
good location for an extinguisher (unless it were for a second
extinguisher).
My thoughts.
SB