REFLECTOR: Dear Unbelievable

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Thu Jun 25 23:03:50 CDT 2009

I fly quite a bit through the rocky mountains day & night, all times of the year. E-98 to Gunnison is a twice a month route for me and can be quite a challenge. I have done it in rain, snow, pitch black, summer storms & perfect days.
For me, I have to know the route, the in's & outs, options and my own limits. I have traveled over two hours up there only to not meet my minimums and have to come home (leaving my passenger there in GUC). I have also traveled there only to get in, when all the scheduled carriers can not make it.

I believe making a blanket statement such as "don't fly single engine at night or IFR" is good for some folks. It can also make your aircraft almost obsolete, unless you only want to use it on a sunny day near your home base.
Bottom line, know your area, know your minimums, know your aircraft. Don't break any of those & you have a better chance making it than you do driving to the airport.

?Kurt Winker