REFLECTOR: belts

Alex Balic velocity_pilot at verizon.net
Thu Jun 25 20:00:42 CDT 2009

I would think that it is much more likely that the fittings were not closed
properly- but the passengers swore that they were-  I can't tell you how
many times I have flown commercial and sat next to someone who did not
connect their belt and test it- and I have had a couple come undone after I
thought they were pushed in all of the way- when I tested them-   as a
guess, I would think that the belt itself would be good for at least a 2000
pound load, and the buckle would be more than that by design. -.8 g would
not put hardly any load at all on the belt even if a "weight challenged"
double belted passenger was wearing it.

  _____