REFLECTOR: Splitting Flying Costs

Lawrence J. Epstein, MD ljepstein at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 25 13:28:32 CDT 2009

Sid

I believe that should read "may not legally receive compensation from a
passenger........". I am pretty sure that you can be compensated for other
uses (exhibition, etc) as well as certain exceptions for flight training
specific to that aircraft (In fact, doesn't the factory charge for flight
training in an aircraft certified as "Experimental"?
I don't believe that sharing expenses on a percentage basis, as explained
earlier, is considered "compensation".
You may have gotten into trouble because you charged a flat fee, not
directly related to expenses incurred on each flight and there was no
"commonality of purpose" (your purpose was to share aviation and the
passenger's was to have it shared with them!)

Larry Epstein
> One point of confusion in this discussion is the distinction between
> Certified and Experimental.  A couple years ago I was "giving" rides at
our
> annual Balloon Fest in my Starduster and asking for a $6 donation to help
> cover expenses (this was stated on a sign I had near the sign-up table).
> had done this on previous years with no problems but this year the FAA was
> there and shut down my operation and wrote me up.  After subsequent
exchange
> of letters, they decided to not give me an suspension but a letter of
> warning "don't do it again".  The "official word" I received was that the
> operator of an Experimental may NOT legally receive compensation in any
form
> or under any pretext.
>
> Sid Knox
> Oklahoma