REFLECTOR: Splitting Flying Costs

sbjknox sbjknox at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 25 09:10:33 CDT 2009

One point of confusion in this discussion is the distinction between
Certified and Experimental.  A couple years ago I was "giving" rides at our
annual Balloon Fest in my Starduster and asking for a $6 donation to help
cover expenses (this was stated on a sign I had near the sign-up table).  I
had done this on previous years with no problems but this year the FAA was
there and shut down my operation and wrote me up.  After subsequent exchange
of letters, they decided to not give me an suspension but a letter of
warning "don't do it again".  The "official word" I received was that the
operator of an Experimental may NOT legally receive compensation in any form
or under any pretext.

Sid Knox
Oklahoma

Velocity  173 RG  N199RS