REFLECTOR: Velocity FLIR Answers

Bob Jackson bobj at computer.org
Wed Jun 24 20:20:56 CDT 2009

John

            Thermal energy is a longer wavelength than visible, so it works
better in the clouds, smoke and haze than a TV camera or your eye.  But,
cheap FLIRs are limited in resolution (320x240 going to 640x480,etc.) so you
don't really get all that much extended sight range with a FLIR.  It shows
the most difference in smoke, and of course at night where it works just as
well as it does during the day (and way better than your eye) - which helps
you find the runway (no need for runway lights) and avoid towers, etc.
That's why all the military aircraft are now outfitted with night vision
FLIRs - it allows them to safely do at night what they used to do only
during the day.

Scott

            You are, of course, right on with the need for side-by-side
TV-FLIR imagery for comparison, Scott - we're working on it!  I threw in the
music for the first very rough video editing job because I like music -
PLUS, you can't sell anything to women without music, and we all know that
it's the women driving (the big bucks guys) to buy Cirrus' and other high
end planes with high end gadgets like parachutes, and FLIRs, etc.

Bob

            We will be STC'ing ours as well as selling it in the
experimental market.  We're shooting for half the $15K price, and definitely
below the competition.

Brett

            Yes, I'll provide you with some other installation photos soon,
Brett - thanks for the Wiki post!

Rodney

            We're shooting for less a price less than $8k.  We had already
moved the landing light onto the main gear and are using that nose space for
removable ballast.  However, the main reason we mounted it on the nose on
the Velocity is because we could easily make a second, removable nose panel
to use for the FLIR mount and switch back and forth without having to cut
into our nose.  Ask Scott Derrick the pianist's name (but YouTube has
already reminded me that it's Dave Gruisin and that it's copyrighted
music!).

Richard

            Yes, I've seen the Blue Mountain FLIR, although I haven't seen
any video from it yet.  Greg does great research and development work.
Hopefully, he'll also do well supporting the FLIR and providing an open
interface for any FLIR input.  Our initial integration was with the GRT HX
EFIS displays and our video is boresighted with the EFIS PFD display.

Thanks for the interest and the questions,

Bob Jackson

  _____