REFLECTOR: Velocity FLIR

Bob Jackson bobj at computer.org
Tue Jun 23 22:26:36 CDT 2009

For people who may be interested, we have developed, test flown, and posted
a demonstration video of a prototype FLIR (Forward Looking Infrared 'night
vision') camera system for our Velocity (N2XF):

The primary purpose of the FLIR is to help the pilot avoid things he needs
to miss (like cell phone and communications towers), and find things he
needs to find (like the runway) at night and in poor visibility conditions.
The Blended Vision FLIR technology is derived from 25-30 years of
development for military and aerospace applications.  The image from the
current prototype is displayed  in the 'Video' mode on our GRT Technology
'HX' EFIS cockpit displays.  We also record the video from the FLIR in real
time onto a laptop (which is what we used to create the demonstration
video).

If you'd like to see what FLIR imagery looks like, as flown on a Velocity,
go to the Blended Vision website and to the Flight Test Video tab.  This
demo video was created from the first three FLIR test flights that were
flown late last week and over the weekend.

http://www.blendedvisionllc.com/flight_video

Bob Jackson

Blended Vision, LLC

Velocity XL/RG