REFLECTOR: education and recreation

Jerome Sipple jds at TAXESPLUSLLC.COM
Tue Jun 23 14:47:17 CDT 2009

Douglas Holub wrote:
> One of my best friends is a courier, an independent contractor. He
> gets paid to drive all over Texas and Oklahoma delivering things,
> usually body parts for surgery to a hospital or airplane parts to an
> airport. Can I take him somewhere to deliver something as long as I
> don't get paid for it?
>
> Doug Holub
> Looking for places to go

Someone else might be better at answering at answering this, but I think
you could as long as you don't ask for or receive any compensation. Now
could he put gas in your tanks and take that as a business deduction?
Most certainly as long as he has proof of payment, (the receipt for the
fuel etc [at both ends of the trip ;-)]). You're not receiving
compensation, just reimbursement of expenses and he can't take direct
cost of your Velo as he doesn't own it and the fact it's not a certified
a/c. Of course if he picked up the tab for lunch that would even be
better. I know it's not the issue here but if he were to drive the route
by automobile he might have a bigger deduction by using the IRS standard
mileage rate at the cost of not as much fun! The IRS doesn't disallow
having fun YET. It just can't be the PRIMARY reason for doing it! Enjoy!

Soon to be builder I hope!

Jerry Sipple
Taxes Plus & Associates LLC