REFLECTOR: Belleville washers

Jeff Howell jeffreyhowell at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 21 16:01:33 CDT 2009

If you need a nylon washer call me at 661 400 5556 Jeff

From: terrence_miles at hotmail.com
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 06:50:44 -0400
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Belleville washers

John,
Thanks so much for volunteering that.  I recall that they went in originally smooth, primed and un-lubed.  The problem I have is adjusting the big nyloc to setting that is neither too loose nor too tight.  A bit of grease seems to increase the torque range tolerance.   The prime coat of paint is long since rubbed off and I thought the rust was part of my culprit.

If I were to say, it is steering problems I have and not so much shimmy problems.  I have an XLRG.  The only shimmy I see in when on the brakes in the latter half of the roll out, and then only when there is more wgt on the nose wheel from having someone in the right seat.  I am tempted now to take my 1/7/8 (or whatever size it is) end wrench over to the local welding shop and have then make a 1/2 fitting on it to fit my torque wrench.  The fish-scale-as-tq-wrench method is not working for me…and the end of wrench is so fat I can only get a few degrees of bolt rotation at a time before it hit the forks.

So people know, there are several different nose leg assemblies in the field with differing washer count.  Were I to add a nylon washer and not remove any steel washers, it would have to be in the thinner side.  As it is, I barely have 3 threads showing.
Terry