REFLECTOR: IVO motor

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 20 13:06:48 CDT 2009

John,

I had the same thing happen to me.  In my case the motor was taking excessive current.  When the prop passes thru the neutral position, the motor should take about 2 amps.  Mine was taking 20 amps and would stall before getting to the stops.  You can check this by running the prop pitch with the engine stopped and watching the ammeter.  It took three trips back to the factory to get it fixed and I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.  I also talked with Ivo himself several times.  He is currently living in the middle of nowhere Utah.

I never liked the idea of the mechanical stops that simply stall the motor and the only way you know you have reached the limit is when the breaker pops.  The current rises very rapidly when you get to the stop. I designed a current limiter circuit that shuts off the motor before it stalls and turns on a light to let you know that you are at the limit.  It seems to be working well.

Larry Coen
N136LC