REFLECTOR: Belleville washers

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Sat Jun 20 08:51:56 CDT 2009

Terry Miles wrote:

> am tempted now to take my 1/7/8 (or whatever size it is) end wrench
> over to the local welding shop and have then make a 1/2 fitting on it
> to fit my torque wrench. The fish-scale-as-tq-wrench method is not
> working for me…and the end of wrench is so fat I can only get a few
> degrees of bolt rotation at a time before it hit the forks.

Terry, what you need is a large crows foot.

http://www.amazon.com/Tools-11PC-Drive-Crowsfoot-Wrench/dp/B001E81DOO

If you have a good tool shop around, they probably have an individual
wrench you can buy instead of buying a whole set. I have a set and don't
use them often, but when I do they are invaluable. Especially for
tubing. Orient the wrench so it is 90 degrees to the torque wrench and
you'll be applying the indicated torque.

I've never had bad shimmy and had light shimmy a couple times when I
forgot to check the torque on pre-flight. I check the torque the old
fashioned way, I lift the nose and kick the tire on the longest arm of
torque to the belleville washers. I expect it to rotate about 45-90
degrees and stop. If less, there is to much torque(rare), if it goes
further, time to tighten up a bit,

Scott