REFLECTOR: FOD

Douglas Holub douglas.holub at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 16:46:00 CDT 2009

Just JB Weld.  The first time I made the repair I thought it would be too runny so I added a little Cabosil. And the gouge looked very clean and I was concerned about leaving any residue on the maple, so I didn't clean with acetone or laquer thinner first. Lonnie Prince said to clean the area with acetone or laquer thinner and to use JB Weld, but that's not what I did.  I let it cure a couple of days and then ran the engine for a few minutes before taking off to make sure it was going to hold, then took off for a two hour flight. When I landed, the JB Weld was gone and the gouge was back. So I repaired it the second time just like Lonnie said to do it, and it has been holding for 6 hours so far.

Doug