REFLECTOR: FOD

Kent Murley im at theaerodro.me
Mon Jun 15 12:43:24 CDT 2009

Recent good luck:

I got to see someone taxi my XLRG over sandy ground before I bought it
and the 3 blade MT prop sucked in small sand from 8 feet to each side,
forming a two inch wide funnel cloud from the lowest sweep of the
blades straight down to the ground.

For a while I got a few nicks in my blades, one an inch in from the
trailing edge through which I could see light. Off to Deland, then
Germany they went. The second time that happened I bought an extra set
of blades so as to not lose ten weeks of good weather.

Since then I always roll my plane to a clear spot for engine start and
always taxi around any visible FOD.  No nicks in several years, even
with no speed brake or wheel pants. The extra blades are still in the
crate.

Kent Murley