REFLECTOR: Need Troubleshooting ideas

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 14 12:45:53 CDT 2009

Doug,

Franklin red line is 200C or 392F.  Probe placement on the Franklin
cylinders may be the reason for the low readings compared to a Lycoming.  I
see the same kind of temperature readings on my Franklin.  The probe on a
Franklin is in a well on top of the cylinder with down draft cooling which
means that the bottom of the cylinder is likely much hotter than the probe
indicates.  Factory spec. is 100C (212F) minimum operating temperature for
full power.  What I'm trying to point out is that the operating spec. and
limits are not the same for all engines.

Larry Coen
N136LC
SE/RG Franklin/IVO