REFLECTOR: Need Troubleshooting ideas

Jeff Barnes jcbarnes411 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 13 16:43:34 CDT 2009

Hi John,

   Maybe this translates to your engine, moybe not. This was posted on canard-aviators at 1:23pm today.  From Marc Zeitlen:

>> snip follows
Folks:

While working on my plane yesterday, I had a discussion with Mike
Melvill regarding some engine problems he'd been having with his
relatively new O-360 on his Long-EZ.

He had found very high oil usage over the last few hours of flying,
especially on a trip to Texas a few weeks ago. His engine was losing
about 1 qt./hr of flight time. There was no oil pooling in the
cowling, VERY little anywhere on the engine, nor was there a stream of
it anyplace in particular. He DID notice a very slight leak at the
base of one cylinder as well as oil on the propeller. He had recently
replaced the nose seal, as there had been a slight oil leak there
which the replacement had stopped.

He removed the cylinders on one side, thinking that he would need to
replace the cylinder base gasket/seal. While talking to Lycoming
about what might be going on, the question of the oil breather line
came up, and Mike checked the internals of the connection - the
external line was clear.

As it turned out, the breather line connection was partially plugged
with carbon deposits, making it very difficult to breath through.
According to the Lycoming rep., the engine WILL breath, and if not
through the breather, through somewhere else. He told Mike that a
relatively common thing that happens in this case is that oil is
forced up past the oil scraper rings, past the compression rings, and
into the cylinders, where it's (mostly) burned and comes out the
exhaust. Hence the lack of any large quantities of oil in the cowl or
on the engine, and the small amount of oil on the prop.

The rep. told Mike that in tractor configurations, if you're LEAKING a
qt/hr, you'll have oil dripping off the tail light, because there'll
be oil everywhere. Not quite so with the pusher configuration, but he
said that if you can't find the qt/hr that you're losing, it is most
probably going out the pipes, and that this could be a strong
indication that the breather line is clogged.

Mike cleaned the breather attachment, put the engine back together,
and flew for an hour. No oil usage whatsoever. Bingo.

Interesting bit of information that neither Mike or I knew before - I
thought others might be interested as well.

--
Marc J. Zeitlin mailto:marc_zeitlin@ alum.mit. edu
http://www.cozybuil ders.org/

<< end snip

Call me if you'd like me to check my CSA roster for some help at CHO.

regards,

Jeff Barnes
847-331-2567 cell