REFLECTOR: RG nose strut pivot tube

Kent Murley im at theaerodro.me
Fri Jun 12 14:57:02 CDT 2009

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: pivot 001.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 202935 bytes
Desc: not available
-------------- next part --------------

I have one of the oldest XLRGs and my A&P is putting in another new
nose strut. This latest failure was a ruptured pivot tube, up away
from the gussets.

On my new strut I'm considering welding in place a larger steel tube
(with cut-outs for the gusset) outside each end of the pivot tube. We
could even cut out fish-mouths to extend the tubes around the actual
strut, but I was wondering about the heat treating.

Would it be better to weld only to the pivot tube and gusset to try to
not hurt the strut's heat treatment or would that be undone anyway
with heat transfer? Would you then go ahead and weld right to the
strut also since it would need to be re-heat treated.

Am I making re-fried beans or does one extra heat treatment not
degrade it's overall strength too much?

Do we normalize the whole area first and heat treat the whole area
again after the fix?

Anyone else beef up this area?

I feel sorry for Greg and anyone else outside of north america - even
just three time zones away from Florida kills me in down time.

Thanks,

Kent Murley
Tacoma WA