REFLECTOR: Rear window

Andy Millin amillin at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 10 13:39:09 CDT 2009

Nice Work!

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Al Gietzen
Sent: 06-10-2009 2:27
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Rear window

Thanks; Ken, Alex, Andy, for the tips.  I took Ken's suggestion, cut out all
but about an inch from the edge of the outside flange; then using router,
die grinder, dremel, took out the micro fillet and glass plys on the inside.
Didn't have the heat gun at the hangar, so haven't gone to the next step.

Goofy thought . since you are replacing the window, you could make some type
of buildup on the inside of the current window that would allow the router
to ride evenly.  That way you wouldn't have to worry about it tipping to the
inside.  Just going to throw it out anyway.

Not so goofy, Andy.  Could be a good idea; but with the different curvature,
and the door beam at the front, it would be tough to get it right. Since I
had first cut out the remainder of the window, I didn't have that option.  I
just did by guess and by eye-ball and it worked out OK.  Only one place made
a small hole in the outer flange. Router bit in the die grinder probably
worked the best for me.

Al