REFLECTOR: Membership Roster

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Fri Jun 5 15:40:49 CDT 2009

True story told to me by a Velocity builder regarding Cozy builders and Velocity builders.
He asked, "Do you know the difference between a Cozy builder and a Velocity builder?"
I replied in the negative.
He said, "In the Cozy community, he who builds his aircraft for the least amount of money, wins the game.  Bragging rights are earned around Rough River camp fires comparing who paid what amount for a particular part or assembly."  He went on to say that Velocity owners are not obsessed with saving money, especially when it comes to building important components (read safety) of the aircraft.  He said the stories bordered on the ridiculous ..."Why, I got my nose wheel off a Publix shopping cart for nothin!"
Now - I must tell you that I do not personally know any Cozy builders - although I have debated one Cozy owner in a forum who swears that he build his completed Cozy, including engine, propeller, and avionics for less than $30K; and did so in less than 6-months.  I'm having a hard time swallowing that one.
Interesting comparison, don't you think?
SB