REFLECTOR: Unexpected door opening

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Wed Jun 3 18:09:27 CDT 2009

I never did like the passenger latching mechanism, and now that the

plane is out for a while, I might change it. Could you send some

pictures of your push button design?

Brian;

I've attached the only photo I could find in my files.

The 'lock' consists of a piece of spring steel (in this case, a piece of a
hack saw blade) When the door is latched, it pops into place, preventing the
over-center spring rod from moving to unlatch the door. Pushing the button
(piece of aluminum rod) allows it to release.  The angle of the spring steel
is such that when closing the door, the rod easily cams over the lock, and
it snaps into place.

The button extends through a small hole in the upholstery panel. It is
covered by the upholstery, which has a spot, and a label "Press here to
unlock". Works slick and reliably.

Al