REFLECTOR: Unexpected door opening

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Wed Jun 3 17:47:26 CDT 2009

One of the challenges of flying is that it is a continuing learning process.
Certainly I/we have learned the critical importance of the doors being
latched.  Here is a more general reminder.

We were planning on being wheels up by 8:00 am; and making the roughly 7 ½
hr flying time to Austin that day.  But the airport was socked in with
unusually heavy marine layer – 400 ft ceiling.  This generally breaks up
pretty early 20 miles inland at F70.  We waited, and waited, looking at the
sky; no change. Finally, and rather suddenly we saw breaks in the clouds.
At 10:15 I decided we were good to go; we strapped in, and headed out. Still
some low clouds in the direction of takeoff, but I saw we could be off, make
a 180 and climb.

IF the cause was that the door latch was not fully engaged it was because I
was impatient to get going; not thorough on the pre-takeoff checklist.  Hey,
I had closed and latched that door 100 times – of course it was fully
latched.

Don’t ever be in a hurry when you are going flying. Don’t ever be in a hurry
when you are going flying.

Al G