REFLECTOR: Unexpected door opening

Terry Miles terrence_miles at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 2 17:34:47 CDT 2009

Al,

I am not sure I can contribute directly, but I have this to offer in general
on doors.  M. Collier as part of his long list of enhancements beefed up the
cabin ceiling with a layer of carbon fiber.  If I remember he thought this
necessary for ground-based gusty winds acting on an open door on the ramp.
Engineering at FedEx made a big point about cargo doors and gust limits
beating the crap out of hinge mounts and door hardware.

I  didn't use the factory cylinders.  Instead we used McMaster Carr
cylinders that mechanically lock in when the door is fully  open.  Later,
and because of fit issues, the McMC 90 lb cyl were replaced with lighter
ones.  My door D tube which is hollow and had the cylinder mount surface was
cracked with the strain.  I squirted in a syringe or two of balloon in that
corner the make the D-tube solid at that point.

I drilled for #10-32 countersunk hinge screws. (as I recall)  That they are
fully seated and tight is  a preflight item.  They have loosened up over
time.  I used blue lock tite at some point after I was flying.

On the perfect door when closed:  The door and the frame will mate perfectly
and hinges are at equal stretch/compression.   When the bayonets go into the
receivers there are no changes to the sentence before.  I don't have that.
I think the door very likely puts a side load on the hinge faces when I jam
it into the door frame.  The frame and the bayonets line up pretty good.   I
used the factory door mechanism, but on the pax door I had a monkey with the
lateral barrel and the pull up pin so they would contact each other  at 90
degrees or so.  Before the adjustment,  I could rotate the handle w/o
lifting up on the pin.ya  know the two-handed concept.  I hope this can add
to things.  Like Chuck Jensen I have bayonent activiated door lights for
both doors bounted right in prime panel real estate and "door pins and
lights" are on my before takeoff check.

Last.  They leak.  Trying to install door seal material gives me headaches
on the latch and closure issues.

Best regards,

Terry

PS:  I have a Marine story on doors.  I was co-pilot in the B747.  We had
flown a whole airplane full of Marines from Korea back to some army post in
KY.  They were all going on leave.  These were just kids most of them and
with all their stuff in sea bags which seabags  were locked in a lower belly
and we could not get the door open.  The skipper was a wimp.  He called the
company and of course they said to ferry the airplane to St. Louis for
repair and leave these young Marines without their luggage.  I walked up to
this NCO with stripes up and down his sleeve whose stuff was also in the
belly bin, and said something like "Geez, I am sorry Sargeant.   If I were
in charge I'd just tell to you take a half dozen guys and "just get that
door open."  Without batting an eye he said:  "Sir it would only take one
Marine to do that."   I would like to think somebody got those bags to their
owners, but I'll never know.