REFLECTOR: Unexpected door opening

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Tue Jun 2 18:03:41 CDT 2009

The lock pin was designed to require two hands so

you can not accidently open it or a passenger can not grab the handle in

a panic and open the door.

Yes, I understand.  Perhaps it's stretching the point, but I recall being
taught that in the event of an off-airport landing, one should always
unlatch the door before you hit the ground to reduce the risk of being
trapped by a jammed door.  And perhaps it doesn't apply to our airplanes,
but if I'm landing the plane on a hillside, letting go of the stick at the
last moment while I get the door unlatched doesn't seem appropriate.

I've never seen Al's new passenger latch with a button, but I hope they

can't easily do it with one hand.

I can reach across and do it; but it would take some practice for the
passenger.

Al