REFLECTOR: Unexpected door opening

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Mon Jun 1 13:42:29 CDT 2009

By "we" I assume you had someone sitting in the passenger seat when this all
happened?   What was their version of the story as the door disappeared, I
assume they were buckled in.

Yes; my good friend, and fellow Velocity builder, was with me.  He was kind
enough to compliment my bringing the plane to a safe landing; and during the
ordeal, was helpful in answering my queries about runway lengths and call
frequencies.  Other than that he hasn't said much; but would have every
right to have been very frightened. He was very helpful in working with me
in the process of recovering the airplane. A greater friend would be very
hard to find.

Great job of handling the emergency and "flying the plane."    One of our
local velocitites had the pilot door come open a few months ago which stayed
attached and the plane was almost uncontrollable.

With that it makes 4 cases that I am aware of.  I am fortunate that the door
departed the plane, but at about 200 mph, that's the likely outcome.  Also
very fortunate that it did not impact the prop.

Al